Joplin for all your Operating Systems and devices
As a lifelong IOS + OSX user (Apple products), I have used many, many notes apps over the years. From big name apps like OmniFocus, Things 3, Notes+, to all the usual suspects like Trello, Notability, Notemaster, RTM, and others, I always eventually migrate back to Apple notes, simply because it is always available and always up to date. There are zero “features” besides this convenience, which is why I am perpetually willing to give a new app a spin.
Joplin is free, open source, and works on OSX, Windows, Linux operating systems and IOS and Android phones.
Find it here:
brew install joplin
The most important thing this project has nailed is cloud support and syncing. I have my iPhone and computers syncing via Dropbox, which is easy to setup and works…. really well. Joplin folks have added many cloud options, so this is unlikely to be a sticking point for users.
Here are some of the key features:
- Markdown is totally supported for straightforward and easy formatting
- External editor support for emacs / atom / etc folks
- Extra bit to troubleshoot possible issue for hardcore emacs users:
- Layout is clean, uncluttered, and just makes sense
- Built-in markdown text editor and viewer is great
- Notebook, todo, note, and tags work great across platforms
- Browser integration, E2EE security, file attachments, and geolocation included
Hopefully this will be helpful.